6.01.2013

Evernote Tips: Indentations in Word and Pages

If you're a frequent user of Evernote, as I am, you'll have tried to copy & paste from a Word or Pages document into Evernote.  If you've done this enough, you'll likely have discovered that a lot of the time (for myself at least) the indentations in the original do not copy into Evernote.  This is a nightmare!!

Indentation is so important, especially for note taking and study.  This is one of the biggest downfalls of Evernote, and I'm going to show you a fix that works well for me.
The following is guidelines for a Mac.  If you use Windows (I'm not even sure if Windows EN has this problem) you'll have to translate the steps accordingly.  I don't know the reasoning behind this, but in my desperate attempt to prevent indentations from being flattened, this is the only thing that has proven to be even remotely successful.  Basically, all you do is convert the file from .doc or .pages to .html.  Then copy the text from the web browser and EN WebClip it (or copy/paste) to Evernote.  All indentations (or at least the vast majority), will be recognized.

If you don't know how to create an .html file from your .doc or .pages file, follow these steps:

  1. Open up document with Textedit
  2. In File choose Save As... (you may have to press alt/option key)
  3. Change "File Format" to "Web Page (html)"
  4. Save
  5. Find the html file and open it into your default web browser
  6. Use the Evernote Web Clipper or Copy/Paste into Evernote
  7. An optional step that may prevent formatting headaches when editing:  In Evernote select all the text in the newly pasted note, Format, Simplify Formatting. (use with caution however, it may flatten out indentations)

One thing I've noticed is that if your file is an .rtf there will be no "Web Page" option in File Format (step 3).


Hope this helps some of you, this is one trick that I wish I learned in college.

Edit: I overlooked something pretty obvious - the Evernote Web Clipper - so I added it to Step 6